Graduate School Preparation
Physics Graduate Record Exam
For many physics and astronomy gradaute programs, the Physics GRE (PGRE) is a required or encouraged examination. Students can register for this exam using the ETS website. For the 2017-2018 academic year, the PGRE will be offered on:
- September 16, 2017 (already occured)
- October 28, 2017
- April 14, 2018
Physics GRE Prep Sessions
Graduate students in the Physics Department will be providing free Physics GRE study sessions to students who are currently preparing to take the test. We will be holding weekly review sessions throughout September and October for the Fall test dates.
The sessions will be run by physics graduate students and they will be there to answer questions, lead the group in practice problems, and share advice for test taking and applying to graduate school in general.
All sessions will be from 5-6pm in BPS 1300.
The sessions will focus on particular topics:
- Thursday 9/14: Practice test
- Wednesday 9/20: Classical mechanics
- Monday 9/25: EM, optics & waves
- Wednesday 10/4: Quantum, atomic, special relativity
- Monday 10/9: Thermodynamics, stat mech, misc.
- Wednesday 10/18: Classical mechanics, quantum, atomic, special relativity
- Thursday 10/26: EM, optics & waves, thermodynamics, stat mech, misc.